My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

I am on a fantastic journey, embracing life with everything I've got!

Monday, November 28, 2005

An Occupational Hazard

I'm a bodyworker, and it is one of the most fulfilling careers I've had to date. I enjoy assisting people back into their quiet place of center, I enjoy helping make their aches, pains and stiffness go away...I enjoy how vibrant and happy they look as they walk away from my massage table.

But every once in awhile, there is a certain...shall we say...challenge we therapists come up against. When we find a particular client attractive! It happens all the time--and everything's cool as long as one never acts on it during the therapist-client relationship. I've known some to date a client after they break their professional relationship and make it a personal one. But unless that happens, there are strict rules--which I honor and respect.

So the attractive client thing--it's happened to me twice in the last week!

The first one was a little spiritual affirmation from the Universe. A very handsome man (only one year older than myself) with merry brown eyes and an easygoing nature was my client. He was so healthy and together both mentally and spiritually (we had the greatest talk in 50 minutes I've ever had with a stranger)--someone I could actually fall for. Someone who'd be a GREAT match for me at this point in my life. (He's from upstate and has a girlfriend, so not really possible) But I was so grateful I got this man for a client, because for the first time in a year, I felt like I could actually love someone again.

The second was a John Wesley Harding look and sound-alike! For those who don't know JWH, he is a folk-rock singer from England...VERY dashing and handsome...and with a voice that I absolutely love. This man, too, was very amiable and happy and charming--a nice family man visiting from the east with his wife & kids.

When attractive clients are on my table, I very carefully put up a "safety wall" and concentrate on my work--I try not to look at their face (especially their lips) or focus on their recumbent position...for fear of my work getting a little too nurturing. So far, so good.

Anyway...here's the lesson learned. After a year of refusing to look, flirt, envision new love or even CARE...this is all very healing. Very healing indeed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

whoop!

that is all.

;-)

4:09 AM  
Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Score! Sexy clients!

9:19 AM  
Blogger winter said...

You know, I always figured that would be part challenge, part perk. Lucky you - keep on enjoying it appropriately!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Anica said...

I work with engineers and have the same kind of problems. I honour and respect their choices and will always treat them with dignity.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home