My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

I am on a fantastic journey, embracing life with everything I've got!

Saturday, November 05, 2005

My Guys In Every Corner

At the start of November, there is a dear friend I always think about named John. In the mid-90s, he was my bestest buddy, and we were both hardcore U2 fans. We both agreed that after the first of November, once the time change hit and the trees grew more bare, and the sky was cold and gray--it was always the perfect time to play The Unforgettable Fire. At the time, John was struggling with the direction of his career and was stuck in a 2-year holding pattern in my city--and his friendship was invaluable to me. I learned so much from him about how to be "intimate platonic friends." Today, he has a PhD and teaches in Toronto. He still has not found the woman of his dreams.

Thinking of John always makes me remember the other crucial men in my life who were never lovers.

Russ came into my life when I desperately needed to quit growing up so fast. I did life ass-backward by working a Federal job before going to college. I was thrown into an office full of "responsible" older people and totally skipped over my wild, partying college years. Russ was a southern gentleman from North Carolina, and one of the most chivalrous and friendly men I'd ever met. He initiated outings to do fun things. He liked to hike in the great outdoors. He taught me how to let my hair down and get a little crazy. When I did develop a crush on him, (unrequited) he was very gracious anyway and never got all weird about it. He really wanted to remain my friend. He was in the Air Force, so of course he moved on...but today he is a civilian marine biologist back in his home state...seems very happy with his new career...and as far as I know, still unmarried.

Vance was the little brother I never had. He was the kid brother-in-law of the lead guitarist in the rock band I sung with. But he was wise beyond his years, hilarious, mischievous, and bold. I found him utterly fascinating and he never ceased to amaze me with the things he accomplished (teaching himself stand-up bass for one) and his self assuredness for a guy his age. When Vance grew up, he asked me to his Prom. I was too embarrased to go because I was 24--but looking back, I should have. One day, Vance decided he was going to go make it big as a bass player in Austin, Texas--capitol of Live Music. Sure enough, he did. I talked to Dave Alvin's guitar player...and he knew Vance! I talked to Vance for 2 hours on the phone last year--he's very happy and would like to find the right woman to settle down with soon...but laughingly said, "That really doesn't go well with the rock and roll lifestyle, though."

Mike was the boy every mother wanted their daughter to marry. Handsome, polite, funny, and talented. We hung out on and off through junior high/high school. He helped me notate the very first song I wrote (a Christmas song), and was my biggest cheerleader in the process. We sung and played music together, and recorded Soundtracks songs at the mall. We kept in touch after he went off to grad school in San Francisco and began to design shows for Flag and Rifle Corps. All his ventures have been a success and he's very happy. He welcomed me to California in a recent email, and wants me to come visit him soon.

John in the North, Russ in the East, Vance in the South, and Mike in the West. They scattered from my life like pool balls, landing in every corner. They had more affect on my life and growth as a woman than they will ever know. The fact that they still remain single is also very soothing to me. I was lucky to know them, and I love them still.

To my guys in every corner! *raises a toast*

Oh, and feel free to comment again--those other requests were just for those particular entries!

4 Comments:

Blogger Anica said...

Ummm, I like this entry because it is possible that you can be really good friends with guys. Just treat them with lots of love and respect. Maybe, one of them might be the one you are looking for, maybe not. You never know.

This is a wonderful entry, Lexie. I will call you as soon as I can. I would love to chat.

anica

12:23 PM  
Blogger winter said...

I'm told that every woman needs one guy in her life who won't make a pass at her or ever try to be anything other than her close Platonic friend. Seems like you've been lucky enough to have several - good for you, and for them!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

men friends are the best! Platonic or not...:LOL:

9:56 AM  
Blogger An Urban Femme said...

I read this and thought...ahhhh...the world is perfect.

Thanks, Sis *hugs*

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home