My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

I am on a fantastic journey, embracing life with everything I've got!

Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Family Steak-Out

Today my family is having their annual "Steak-Out." It's something that began long before I was born--because my dad had an affinity for cold-weather cookouts and would set aside a special day in fall to do just that. The family resumed the tradition in the mid-70s--usually opting to meet at a state park, so no one would have to be responsible for the clean-up in their home afterward.

Today is the first Steak-Out I will miss because I live 4000 miles away now. I still sometimes can't believe I ripped myself away from them...a large, close-knit family with every get-together being full of love, laughter, great food and memorable times. This week in particular was especially bad with the homesickness, because of the steak-out and my upcoming birthday...and just because I needed to be held by someone familiar...and related.

Just quiet observations and remembrances going on inside me...I am not in crisis, so there is no need to make comments of consolation/advice or anything like that...

Oh yeah--and today John Lennon would've been 65. Wow. So, in celebration, let me end with one of the most hopeful and inspirational lyrics he ever gave me...

Love is real, real is love,
Love is feeling, feeling love,
Love is wanting to be loved.
Love is touch, touch is love,
Love is reaching, reaching love,
Love is asking to be loved.
Love is you,
You and me,
Love is knowing,
We can be.
Love is free, free is love,
Love is living, living love,
Love is needing to be loved.

4 Comments:

Blogger bhd said...

Well, you've gone and done it. You've made me cry. Not necessarily with sadness, though. *smooch*

3:16 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love you, Lexie.

That's all I can say right now...

~M~

8:59 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

such a wonderful heart wonder woman. you love completely. and that is a gift.

sighs. so when can i come to visit you?

:smiles at the thought of that:

;-)

10:39 PM  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

No words of condolence or sympathy. Just the simple phrase, I understand.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home