My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

I am on a fantastic journey, embracing life with everything I've got!

Monday, March 27, 2006

A Spring Getaway...and One of My Favorite People in the World!


It was a PERFECT time for a road trip up the California coast! Spring in the golden state looks damn near like Ireland!






I took a long-awaited trip to San Francisco to see a long-lost best buddy. Mike and I go way back--to 4th and 5th grade, as a matter of fact! We were in plays together, we sung together (he played guitar), we recorded mall Soundtracks songs together...hung out and had fun. Neither of us could remember when we'd seen each other last. Probably before he flew off from Ohio to SF to go to Art Grad school. Ours is the sort of friendship that time can never change. He pulled up to my motel in his Beamer SUV, I gave him a hug, and it was like no time had passed. We were still like two peas in a pod (both Libras), we still laughed at the same stuff, and remembered all the old inside jokes. He showed me all around his fine city (hadn't been since 1987) and even joined me in a touristy trolley ride. I love that city and all its cool buildings and streets and bay windows!
I thought that I'd only have time for lunch with my dear friend, but Mike was available ALL DAY! We visited two of his favorite neighborhood bars--one a very artsy and trendy place (with yummy appetizers and VERY healthy martinis--it helps when you know the bartender!), and the other a piano bar called Martuni's where I met some of his friends.

It was a wonderful time. I feel like a bit of my youth was recaptured; it was great connecting with one of the finest men on this planet; and I was so happy he's done so well for himself.





The next day I visited another good friend and RPeep, Stuart! I got to be the first to meet his new kittycat, Lady Madonna, and was treated to a delectable gourmet feast for lunch. Stu will probably blow that off and say it wasn't all that.....but anyone who knows Stu and his professional cooking know that it WAS. This fabulous man also treated me to ice cream and gave me a keyboard, so that I can play the piano again!!!! (In the words of one of our favorite bunnies...WHOOP!) It was good to see Stu again--last time was when he was decked out in Mardis Gras beads at Reinstock.


And then...the icing on the cake. At a friend's recommendation, I visited Moonstone Beach--one of the best kept secrets of the remote Central Coast! Dramatic waves, gorgeous scenery (San Simeon was right down Hwy 1 and you could see Hearst Castle in the distance). I had a writer's getaway there...an evening walk on the beach, a tasty barbecue feast from a local diner...and then just me and my laptop in my inn.







The next morning I walked the beach again, took artsy fartsy pix,














and then traveled further on to tour Morrow Bay.






I finished the day writing in my favorite coffeehouse (with free wireless) in San Luis Obispo.

It was a great time away...a simpler sort of Spring Break suited for 39 year old writers!


I plan on doing some more writer's getaways up that way...and perhaps even Big Sur as well. I would've certainly moved straight to that area when I moved to this state, had it not been so isolated (and away from friends and people who I needed in my life as I got my start).

7 Comments:

Blogger winter said...

What a great trip! I'm so happy for you and the good times you had.

9:49 AM  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

It's funny, I've been considering doing some personal weekend getaways myself, being that I haven't really explored the coastline I live on all that much.

Your trip is just the inspiration I needed. Thanks Lexie!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo said...

Thanks for bringing us along and for sharing your words and photos. The plaza where the streetcars turn around...sigh. Me & N. were there. N. Why didn't I just write her name? I read your entries, Alessandra, but don't always comment. I'm trying not to hog space. ;-)

12:29 AM  
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

Oh my goodness those are beautiful pictures! Desktop Wallpaper calibur! That part of the country is sooo gorgeous!

11:12 AM  
Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Awesome! What gorgeous places too!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I wish I did that road trip! Fantastic photos Lexie!

6:32 PM  
Blogger David said...

*frowning, grumpy smilie*

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home