My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

I am on a fantastic journey, embracing life with everything I've got!

Monday, January 09, 2006

Taking Stock in the Little Gifts

My drive home from work tonight was brightened by one little song (Dare, by Gorillaz) on the radio. It has a neo-disco groove, and even though most would consider it pop crap--I like it, and car-danced to it.

Before that, my entire evening was brightened by a heart-to-heart talk with a younger coworker over our dinner break and ensuing two hours of no appointments. I am grateful for the fact that I can totally be myself with an awesome bunch of fellow bodyworkers--the reward of being in my new career. Down to earth and real people.

The night before, I got to have "girl night" with my newly adopted big sister...who eased me through another layer of my healing and forgiveness work I've been doing--over delicious pizza and milkshakes. How I've waited to have a close buddy like that in town--since all my others live back in Ohio.

The afternoon before, I enjoyed a very meditative and therapeutic two-hour massage by a gifted and beautiful young man whom I work with--he chose not to watch the clock because he wanted to just be an artist and let intuition tell him what to do. It was a trade and I felt very lucky to have someone like him as a trading partner with very little money coming in right now--I can only hope his massage is half as good on Tuesday when I take my turn as provider.

The same afternoon I gave a massage to a very appreciative woman (and mother of a five year old) who was on a weekend getaway with her husband. She said it was the best one she's ever had. She also had on pikake perfume (which I'm going to get soon) that made me feel like I was doing massage in Hawaii. Heavenly!

This morning, the minister at my church gave a lesson about starting the year with a "new heart." The cover on the bulletin for today's services was of a woods in nearby Gaviota, with new greenery and blossoms growing on scorched trees and ground after the fire there in 2004. "The earth never stayed angry about what happened to it and refused to grow any longer. Instead, it just started anew...and although the woods will never be the same woods it was before the fire...it will be the woods everyone still looks for." The analogy to my own life right now was priceless. I've started over many times with a new heart--why not once more. I know it won't happen all at once, but as long as I'm willing...

My cat has been falling asleep curled up next to my face with her forepaws on my shoulder. I go to sleep to a lullaby of warm purring in my ear. This helps me not dwell on/despair over the fact that I've been sleeping alone for a long, long time. For now, she's all I've got and it's okay.

This week, I will have a very first face-to-face meeting with a dear friend who has--until this week--been a voice of comfort/kindredness on the phone and in long, expressive emails. He already feels like some "bonus" big brother I never asked for but got anyway. It will surely brighten the week.

Sometimes it's the little things that make up one big beautiful whole. This is life that happens while I'm busy making other plans. And I'm truly grateful.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anica said...

Lexie that is almost exactly what been going on in my week of New Beginnings. And you know what I am so glad to be alive right now. Having friends like you and also having family even thought they aren't blood. :hug:

1:01 PM  
Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Sometimes it's the little things that make up one big beautiful whole. This is life that happens while I'm busy making other plans. And I'm truly grateful.

You are so frigging smart! This is why I look up to you so much. I would be stupid not to.

Love you, Sis!

3:31 PM  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

I'm curious as to who this "face-to-face" meeting is with.

But as for everything else, it sounds like you've got things under control and are heading down a road you want to go down.

Love ya and miss ya, Lexie. :hug:

4:36 PM  
Blogger winter said...

It sounds like Everything is sending you messages, and you're primed to listen well. Good for you!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

aw, thanks auntie leggsie... its nice to have a good friend close by whenever, and knew that i needed to live here so we could be closer together!

it is the little things isn't it!? i learn that everytime i watch austin play.

HUGS.

;-)

4:58 PM  
Blogger owld_skipper said...

Hey Lexie, you are always an inspiration. What shines through is you generous spirit and a wholesome optimism that grows out of all your struggles and triumphs. Sure wish I could come to CA and get you to put your healing hands on my too-tight shoulders and aching neck. Your trading partner is a lucky man.

As BunnyBoi would say,

Respect

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home