My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

I am on a fantastic journey, embracing life with everything I've got!

Saturday, December 22, 2007

A Commissioning

My sister-in-law is one of my favorite massage clients.

These days, she is doing the work of three people. She is working wife, full time mother (it's ALWAYS full time in my opinion, daycare or not), and nursemaid to an invalid husband--my brother. Her life has changed drastically in the last two years since my brother's diagnosis with the fatal MSA (Multiple System Atrophy) She must be made of steel to expend the physical and mental energy that she does every single day, and not wither and crumple from exhaustion. And this is why I love to have her on my table...feel her muscles finally go slack, drink in the healing touch that she never receives anymore, and turn off her mind.

But during this past appointment, right in the middle of her massage, she asked me if I would write her husband's story--complete with interviews and fact gathering--and record it in a book so that her 6 year-old son would have something to remember his father by when my brother is no longer with us. "Just take some time to think about this. I know it will be a lot of work and I'm willing to pay you whatever fee your freelance people charge...but I think with your writing skills, and being his sister, you'd be the best person for this task."

My heart was in my throat. I almost had to stop what I was doing. I was so very honored to be asked to do something like this. I immediately imagined using the Shutterfly book creation as a medium, when I'm all finished writing it. "Can I just tell you yes, right now?" I asked with a smile. She said absolutely.

I am really looking forward to doing this. But it has to be soon. This winter, in fact. Because we're just not sure how long my brother has. One bout with pneumonia or any other respiratory disease easily caught in this season could wipe him out, with his already-weakened lung power and labored breathing.

After Christmas, I will go over and start the first interview. His story will probably begin in our little house in Toledo, long before I was born. I will probably learn things about my brother that I never knew before, so it will be a gift for me as well.

The Universe continues to remind me why it is that I left the beautiful coast of California to return to my hometown, and it continues to take the sting off missing it there.

2 Comments:

Blogger winter said...

Wow! What a wonderful project!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

That sounds like a wonderful project! yes dear. the move was the right one for you. be well in all its glowing rewards.

see you soon.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home